Got a question?
Office: +61 2 9988 3412
Mobile: +61 417 252 960
Or use Contact Us
- Authoring tools
- Change management
- Changing practice
- Client question
- E-Learning strategy
- E-Learning tutorial
- Learning Management Systems
- Mobile learning
- Organisational culture
- Performance support tools
- Project Management
- Research – Corporate VLE
- Social media
- Systems training
- Virtual classroom
- Workplace learning
- Workshop participants
The E-coach Blog
12 Questions To Ask An Elearning Provider
By Alison Bickford on February 11, 2012
- Have you worked with clients of a similar size/industry to ours? (and can I have a list of recent referees to contact?)
- Have you developed similar materials and content to ours? (and can we see recent demos?)
- Can you explain to us your instructional design methodology?
- Will all development be done locally? (off-shoring may be cost-effective - but you need to ensure the communication channel is sound)
- How do you assure our IP and source files are safe?
- What strategies will you put into place to future-proof the finished e-learning course? (e.g. do you have the ability to export the course to multiple file formats for use on mobile devices?)
- Is the e-learning authoring tool you use bespoke, or is it a proprietary tool? (if it is bespoke, this will mean you will need to return to the provider each time you need an update, or you will need to purchase their tool)
- What guarantee can you provide to ensure the project will be delivered on time and to budget?
- What is your project management methodology? (in particular, check the frequency of Quality Assurance checks)
- How frequently will you hold project briefings with us? (and how will you raise and escalate issues?)
- Do we incur a penalty if we don’t deliver our reviews by the documented due dates?
- Who in your team will be on the project? What are their qualifications? (and how quickly can their role be filled, should they leave?)
The best way to manage e-learning projects is to have a methodology in place yourself that you can dictate to the e-learning provider. This should be discussed and agreed upon prior to formal vendor engagement.
If you would like assistance in developing an internal e-learning project management methodology and governance, stay tuned. I will be launching a new workshop on this topic in March.
One Response to “12 Questions To Ask An Elearning Provider”
Zoe Karathomas said on February 11th, 2012 at 7:06 pm
Thanks Alison – it was very valuable to work with your expertise when considering these questions. As a client it is so important to know what we need in a provider and to check this upfront. For example I was a whisker away from signing off an elearn project this week then went back to these questions and found out I could not have the source files at the engagement – a real deal breaker for me! Thanks again for collaborating with me on these questions. I believe they are essential.